Fernando Medina said this Monday that he has not read and will not read the book by the former manager of Banco de Portugal and that he did not know about the existence of a demonstration outside the door of the former official, which, according to Carlos Costa, was sanctioned by the camera.
“I have not read this book and do not intend to read it,” Fernando Medina told journalist Pedro Santos Guerreiro during his participation in a conference dedicated to the first anniversary of CNN Portugal in Lisbon.
The finance minister said he did not want to comment on Carlos Costa’s statements in a scandalous book in which he accuses the prime minister of meddling in banking supervision.
However, when asked that the former governor had mentioned a demonstration outside his house, which he said had been sanctioned by the Lisbon city council, at the time led by Fernando Medina, as a form of pressure from the PS, Medina said that “I had no the idea that she was there.”
🇧🇷Municipal councils do not have the power to prohibit or authorize demonstrations under the Portuguese Constitution.🇧🇷 […] I didn’t even know it happened. The right to protest has always existed. Maybe this is another one of the misconceptions contained in this book,” said the Minister of Finance.
The prime minister and former governor Carlos Costa are in conflict after predecessor Mario Centeno said he was under pressure from António Costa not to remove Isabel dos Santos from the BIC.
The revelations are contained in the book “O Governador”, which is the result of a series of interviews by Observer journalist Luis Rosa with Carlos Costa, who headed Banco de Portugal between 2010 and 2020, and has sparked controversy.
With a foreword by Christine Lagarde, President of the European Central Bank, the publication reveals hitherto unknown facts about the intervention of the troika, the Banco Espírito Santo case, the Banif resolution, tensions with former Prime Minister José Socrates, current António Costa and former Finance Minister Mario Centeno, as well as “wars” with the former banker Ricardo Salgado and the Espiritu Santo family.
António Costa announced that he would sue the former governor, whom he accused of writing a book containing lies and misrepresentations about him and of organizing a political operation to attack his personality after he confirmed that “the government tried to interfere into the political power of the Bank of Portugal”.