Firefighters in Indonesia today rescued a five-year-old boy who was buried under the rubble of his home for about 45 hours after a deadly earthquake hit the island of Java. This is reported by the agency Kyodo. Indonesia’s Disaster Mitigation Agency reported today that the death toll from the disaster has risen from 268 to 271, with 40 people still missing and at least 1,000 injured. The consular department of the Indonesian Foreign Ministry officially confirmed that there were no foreigners among the victims, spokeswoman for Czech diplomacy Mariana Vernerova told CTC.
“Azka was rescued at around 10:40 local time (04:40 CET) by a team of firefighters.A spokeswoman for the Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency said on Wednesday. A video shared by a volunteer shows rescuers pulling a boy out from under the rubble of a two-story house in the city of Chanjur. The boy was immediately picked up by his father, then taken to the hospital Azka’s mother was found dead on Tuesday.”He looked scared and could only cry after the team pulled him out.” the spokeswoman said.
An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 struck the Indonesian province of West Java on Monday.. The epicenter of the earthquake was ten kilometers below the city of Chianjur, which is located about 75 kilometers southeast of the metropolis of Jakarta. Among the dead are a large number of children who died in schools that collapsed during earthquakes.
Medics treated hundreds of wounded in the hospital parking lot, some also in an emergency tent., according to Reuters. Elsewhere in Chianjur, he said, residents huddled on mats in the open or in tents, with surrounding buildings practically in ruins.
Within two hours of the earthquake, the local geological bureau recorded 25 aftershocks. Officials warned that there is a risk of landslides, especially if it’s raining heavily in the area. Tremors were also felt in the capital Jakarta, where people ran out of offices. when they felt buildings shake and saw furniture move. According to experts, there is no danger of a tsunami.
Rescuers are still battling dozens of aftershocks in the hilly province of West Java on Wednesday as they search for survivors for the third day, BBC reports. Local Governor Ridwan Kamil said there were about 140 tremors in the region since Monday’s quake. “There are still aftershocks.” Kamil said, but added that they would probably be there by Friday. “We are currently coordinating (our mission) to focus on search and rescue…many people are still missing, mostly in remote areas,” declared
Kamil said rescuers are still searching the area on foot and on motorcycles. Some roads remain inaccessible, but rescuers have helicopters ready to deliver the found people to hospitals. The work of rescue services was also disrupted today by heavy rain, due to which there was a risk of landslides. Authorities are struggling to bring in heavier machinery to clear away deposits of wet soil, but so far people are digging with bare hands, hoes, sticks and crowbars, looking for their relatives and neighbors.writes Reuters. More than 1,000 police officers were called to help the rescuers.
Indonesia, made up of 17,000 islands and islets and populated by 270 million people, it lies at the junction of three major tectonic plates and earthquakes are frequent in the area. In January 2021, an earthquake of magnitude 6.2 on the island of Sulawesi claimed more than a hundred lives.